A variety of newspapers, books and magazines are provided to the inmates through the jail library.
However, should an inmate want a subscription to a particular newspaper or magazine, the following guidelines must be followed.
Inmates may have family and/or friends place orders for books, magazines and newspaper subscriptions; however, the inmate must communicate to that individual what is approved, appropriate content to be received at the WVRJ.
- These items must come directly from the publisher.
- Books MUST be paperback.
- Items ordered from a publisher (books, magazines & newpapers) will be approved upon delivery to the Western Virginia Regional Jail.
- The jail may disapprove, in whole or in part, any issue if the contents are of a nature to compromise jail security, order or rehabilitative efforts.
- Items disapproved by the WVRJ will be placed in the inmate's property or can be mailed out at the inmate's expense.
- Reasonable quantities of these items will be allowed. However, if excessive quantities create a fire hazard in the inmate's cell, these items will either be placed in the inmate's property or disposed of.
- Publications cannot violate U.S. Postal Regulations.