Suggestions for making your video visit more enjoyable:
- Before logging in to visit, check your webcam for good picture quality and make sure you are located in well-lit area, but not where your camera is in direct sunlight.
- Check your sound quality/ audio level. Most webcams and operating systems allow for testing of your microphone on your system.
- Speak normally. Some have a tendency to speak loudly or directly into the microphone and this causes distortion for the inmate. Avoid allowing persons sitting or standing behind to talk, as they often speak louder than necessary.
- Avoid large movements during the call. Webcams are often sensitive to movement and do not offer a good picture during movement.
- Check your internet speed. Low bandwidths may cause lag time in transmission of your video feed. If unsure of your internet speed, contact your internet service provider to ensure your internet speeds are capable of handling video conferencing.
- Be logged into your account on time and ready to visit. If you are late for the visit, you will only be allowed the remainder of your scheduled time.
Frequently Asked Questions about Video Visitation:
Q. How long are the remote video visits and how much do they cost?
A. Each video visitation is 15 or 30 minutes and costs $7.00 for the entire 15 minutes, or $15.00 for the entire 30 minutes. You or the inmate may terminate the call at any time, however you will be charged for the entire scheduled time of visit.
Q. I lost my password, I had connection problems, transaction issues, or I am having problems using the system?
A. If you experience technical difficulties with your Remote Visit, please have your visitor go to www.smartjailmail.com and click the CONTACT US button. Have your visitor include the Western Virginia Regional Jail, your Housing Unit, the transaction date, your name, and their contact information.
Q. Can I still visit by video using the regular visitation systems at the Western Virginia Regional Jail, Montgomery County Jail, Roanoke County Jail and Franklin County Jail?
A. Yes, you may continue to visit by using the standard video visitation system.
Q. What happens if I miss my video visitation or forget to log on?
A. If you or the inmate miss your scheduled Remote Visit time for any reason and the visit does not start on both sides, the credits will be refunded back to your account and you can use the credits to schedule a visit for another time or send messages/photos instead.
Q. Are there any rules while my video visit is taking place?
A. Yes. All visits are subject to monitoring at any time, so any signs of indecency, including nudity or pornographic activities will result in termination of the visit and future visits.